Tuesday, February 13, 2007


BOOKS

"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention."
Sir Francis Bacon
English author, courtier, & philosopher (1561 - 1626)
This is one of my favorite quotes about the reading of books. It is quite possible that we could get most of our belongings into one of our vehicle if we had no books. I don't know exactly how many books we have with us but I think I would be safe in saying more than a third of our boxes when everything is packed are books. (part of my problem is I continue to accumulate but rarely discard - books.)

We do not own an XBox?# or ipods (I think that is simply a yet in this family of music enthusiasts) or one thousand movies but we own a number of books. I am not saying owning the other things are wrong or evil - things are not evil in and of themselves.

Our Lord was the Word made flesh, God spoke the world into existence with a word. A love of words is not unusual for beings made in the image of God who was the Word, with the Word . . .and that this one book, the Bible which has survived down through the ages. Perhaps not in its purest form but never the less delivering the truth and being made known to the peoples of the world. The Bible is the inspired Word of God and it is one of my favorite books. Am I blessed with more than one copy? Yes. I can't seem to part with my duct tape bible that I have had for almost 20 years now. It holds part of the history of my personal spiritual journey. In the book of Acts in chapter 14 there is a place where my pen exploded in a young marrieds sunday school class. In that particular class, I grew a lot. It was one of the hardest and best lessons of all.

Currently reading, a book by my daughter Grace wrote during Nanowrimo called "Life." It is excellent.
Also reading:


No comments: