Friday, January 22, 2010


Names written on my heart

Alberta and Patricia (surnames withheld) are two names that were written on my heart during childhood. I hadn't seen either of them in years and with the 25th Reunion (that the 3 of us were not invited to but no offense taken....they probably couldn't handle the possibility of the 3 of us showing up together) I thought it would be great to see them again.

We met for lunch this past Wednesday, the day after the historic MA Senate Race and in our 2 hour plus meeting we managed to escape talking politics and religion. How do 3 thoughtful, caring American women manage that? I have thought about it and I have come up with some ideas and a conclusion.

The three of us are strong personalities and I think it would be safe to say that all of us are opinionated. Differing opinions were not on the menu. On my count, I had a thought or two cross my mind, after all I had bought 4 papers that morning and friends from across the country were inquiring about the Senate Race. It wasn't just local but national news. However, I wanted to just enjoy these dear friends, so I let the thoughts come and go. It wasn't even a restraint. My focus was on the two dear hearts that I had the honor of breaking bread with on this winter afternoon in the greater Boston area. I didn't want to break this circle of friendship. It was just the start of catching up. May I be so bold to say that each of us has grown in wisdom and each of us value one another more than our opinions and beliefs. Although, our opinions and beliefs matter to each of us and I was curious about what Patricia and Alberta think about all kinds of things, nobody brought up either subject.

As I have continued on this pilgrimage called life, I realize more and more how much people matter. These days I am more of a student than teacher for my children. These young adults place a high value on people. People matter. It is true. So, my conclusion is that we were conquered by something greater than ourselves, Love. Love conquers all and I was able to bask in it for the rest of the day.

There is something curious and wonderful about the people who etched their names on your heart when you are young. Some names fade away but others may only gather dust, it just takes one to make direct contact with the other for the name to become visible again. When the faces meet the hearts though now filled with more names burns bright with love for one another. I love you, Alberta. I love you, Patricia.

Pax Vobiscum,
CM

No comments: