Monday, December 27, 2004

Yesterday (Dec 7th), Grace competed in a Lincoln-Douglas debate practice tournament. Lincoln Douglas is a one on one debate and the students are debating values. This year's resolution is "The restriction of civil rights for the sake of national security is justified." Each debater is to prepare to argue both an affirmative and negative case.
It was a family affair:
Grace did great for her first time debating
Katie video taped a number of rounds
Michael was a timer
I was a judge
Dan was sleeping after working 3 nights (7pm-7am) in a row.

Grace is a member of the southwest FL "Fusion" Speech and Debate Club and has been welcomed in by the wonderful group of young people.
One of the benefits of participating in speech and debate is to become a more effective communicator. In 2 Timothy chapter 2 it states, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth." What a wonderful training ground for our children.
Of course, I am now completing this post 2 weeks after the fact but it is an important post. I will keep you posted about other tournaments and happenings within this group. CM

1 comment:

J-Lynn said...

Wow, the debates sound neat. Sounds like it's been a positive experience for the entire family (even your tired DH that gets a quiet house to nap in...lol).

My e-mail is blessedmom2k(at)yahoo(dot)com replaces the words with the right symbols of course. And no, unfortunately I don't think there's a way to notify when I've posted, good idea though! There may be a way that I don't know about. I do try my best to at least post something daily but sometimes I go on these random sabbaticals...lol

Hugs!