Thursday, May 05, 2005

Educators
Tuesday was National Teacher Day and this week is considered National Teacher's Week. Although, I do not consider myself a teacher in the traditional sense of the word, I am however one of two of the only teachers my children have known when it comes to their formal academics. We have been educating them at home since 1989. Learning is a life long endeavor that we wish to instill in our children, so in the Lord’s eyes we have been educating our little loves since birth.

I wanted to take this time to acknowledge each and every parent who has chosen the road less traveled and is educating their children at home – you are the unsung heroes of the future, but take heart. I believe some of our children will be the leaders of tomorrow and they will sing your praises from the halls of justice, the Senate Chamber, the golf course, at sea, on the battle field, the corporate conference room, in homes repairing plumbing or computers and hopefully from the heads of the tables of their own families.

This evening we read from 2 books, Let Us Highly Resolve by David and Shirley Quine and a family favorite we finished, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis (by the way, my children are very upset that Hollywood is taking artistic license with this classic tale of Narnia). Reading aloud has been one of the most enjoyable parts of learning together. Funny, both these books recognize the fact that we are in a fierce battle, spiritual in nature yet affecting every area of our lives. The Lord is yes; our Great Defender and we are His Warrior Children. It is not for us to sit by and watch or to shake in our boots hiding behind our Lord. No!!! We are to stand up and fight for the Lord is at our side. Like David who set out to defeat Goliath.
45Then David said to the Philistine, "You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, (AU)but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have taunted.
46"This day the LORD will deliver you up into my hands, and I will strike you down and remove your head from you. And I will give the (AV)dead bodies of the army of the Philistines this day to the birds of the sky and the wild beasts of the earth, (AW)that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel, 47and that all this assembly may know that (AX)the LORD does not deliver by sword or by spear; (AY)for the battle is the LORD'S and He will give you into our hands." 1Samuel 17

Satan wants the hearts and minds of our children. Many parents fail to protect and fight for these precious ones. The hearts and minds of our children are the battle grounds upon which we fight. Remember, you have been given all authority in Christ Jesus and having them in our homes and with us as we go about daily life, living and learning together is in my opinion the best way to exercise this authority. Do not take my words out of context. My children are some of the freest and independent thinkers I have ever known. These young people that the Lord has entrusted to our care are bold, courage, teachable, trusting, truthful, grateful and loving. They are not afraid to ask the tough questions and the simplest questions.
In a very real sense, Dan and I are living without regret, treasuring these times, knowing that educating our children is right for our family. So for each family living life together and trust God for the results, I salute you and I highly value your companionship along this pilgrim highway.

1 comment:

Caitriona said...

Just revisiting some of my early blog posts here. I found at least one error my kids are "courage" should be "courageous."
The days of reading out loud together. Including the classic from CS Lewis.