Monday, May 17, 2004

LISTENING
Part of my spiritual journey this year has been to write a devotional instead of reading one that someone else has written. This goes along with what seems to be the theme of our family life, learning to listen. It is Spirit led, no formula, no overall view of the year laid out before me, just reading His Word and doing my best to hear what the Lord is trying to say to me. In fact the proverb from which I was reading today says, "There is a way that seems right to a man,
but in the end it leads to death."
Today I will share mine online here with all of you.

20 Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers,
and blessed is he who trusts in the LORD .

21 The wise in heart are called discerning,
and pleasant words promote instruction. Proverbs 16

To take instruction is still hard for me. I am strongwilled and hardheaded, which is not all together a bad thing. It just makes it difficult sometimes to listen. Humility does not come easily. Having been humble in many situations, I have learned that being humble enables me to be teachable and it is in this place I am ready to receive instruction. I want the Lord to continue to train me and instruct me in His ways. It is exciting and at times difficult, but it is fruitful. Each time we have to pack up and go, I am seeing how there are things we don't need. I came to the conclusion yesterday, that as much as I love books, we need to not have soooo many on hand. We will have to do something about that once we get to MD. If we lighten our load, traveling will become easier not just in the physical sense, but in the spiritual sense as well. Lord, continue to give me a teachable heart today.

No comments: