Thursday, November 01, 2007

The practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence

I have probably owned a copy of this little book for years and I am finally getting around to reading it. There are many good books and this one is already a treat. For right now I hope to share some lines or passages that grab my attention. I may or may not comment on them. I hope if you read this and you have any insights that you would share those with the rest of us in the comment box.

"Thou knowest well that it is not Thy gifts that I look for and desire, but it is Thyself and I can be content with nothing less."

"This sums up our entire call and duty: to adore GOD and to love Him, without worrying about the rest."

"...we must establish outselves in the presence of God by continually conversing with Him. It is a shameful thing to break off our conversation with Him in order to engage in trifling or foolish talk."
I think this last line sums up the purpose of this little book. I do want to be aware as much as humanly possible the presence of the Lord. I know that in this life, it is next to impossible but it is something to shot for because in the next life we will be with Him for all eternity.

Pax,
CM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

....without worrying about the rest...............that's my goal.
Daniel